Minimally Invasive Joint Replacement
Total Hip Replacement (THR) and Total Knee Replacement (TKR) are very successful surgical treatments for arthritis of the hip and knee, respectively.
Over the last several years hip and knee replacement surgeries have evolved to a Minimally Invasive technique.
Advantages of Minimally Invasive Joint Replacement
- Less tissue trauma - muscles and tendons are avoided or separated, not cut
- Faster and less painful rehabilitation
- Smaller incisions and less scarring - two incisions of 11/2 to 2 inches each, rather than one 10- to 12-inch incision
- Shorter hospital stay - 1-2 days (vs. 3-5 days); some patients go home in less than 24 hours
- Reduced blood loss and less need for pre-surgery blood donation
- Faster return to work and daily activities
Minimally Invasive and Open Knee Replacement Incisions
Minimally Invasive and Open Hip Replacement Incisions